Honeybee Health Review
Why We Like Them
This Culver City-based online pharmacy burst into the medical scene in 2017. Since, Honeybee Health has transformed the way Americans look at the pharmaceutical industry. Most of the medications available on the site are offered at more than a 50% discount when compared to traditional pharmaceuticals — and are even cheaper than most copays. Its goal is to demystify the costs of prescription medication and offer transparent pricing, making generic medicines available affordable for everyone in the United States.
Honeybee Health Company Overview
Honeybee Health is an online pharmacy that offers common generic-brand medications at a small yet ethical markup. Compared to traditional pharmacies (that bill insurance and take huge cuts and fees), Honeybee is an inexpensive alternative. Medications are delivered to patients in 41 states in discreet packaging.
It’s HIPAA compliant and can offer deep discounts by cutting out the middleman (or rather, ‘middle-building’ as it doesn’t need to pay rent at brick-and-mortar locations).
This online pharmacy is known for its transparent pricing and stellar customer service.
Is Honeybee Health Right For You?
Honeybee Health is a great option for anyone who wants to save time and money on most generic prescription medications. Just some of the types of people who are ideal customers for this online pharmacy include anyone who:
- Hates waiting in line at the pharmacy
- Doesn’t have insurance and/or wants to save money on medications
- Is frustrated with murky pricing, middlemen, and unethical medication markups
- Doesn’t mind waiting up to 10 days to receive prescriptions and refills (or who doesn’t mind paying $10 for rush shipping)
- Has a pet that needs human generic medications (yes, Honeybee can fill some pet prescriptions, too!)
- Doesn’t want to leave the house to run to the pharmacy during the COVID-19 pandemic
Is Honeybee Health Credible?
Honeybee Health was co-founded by COO Dr. Jessica Nouhavandi, PharmD, and health marketing guru Peter Wang, so you can feel safe that the experts are on the case at this online pharmacy.
It’s important to remember that this company does not specialize in discount coupons; Honeybee Health sources and distributes its own generic drugs. All its drugs are made with quality ingredients by FDA-approved companies in the U.S. All medications meet strict FDA guidelines.
Healthcare Conditions Treated by Honeybee Health
Honeybee Health stocks dozens of common generic medications. Some common medications include:
- Sertraline (Zoloft)
- Sildenafil (Viagra)
- Bupropion (Wellbutrin)
- Phenytoin Sodium Extended-Release (Dilantin)
- Escitalopram (Lexapro)
How Does Honeybee Health Work?
Placing an order through Honeybee Health and transferring a prescription is insanely easy. All you need to do is:
- Search for your medication at Honeybee Health’s website
- Add your strength and dosage to your cart
- Proceed to checkout
- Create an account
- Transfer your prescription over from your previous pharmacy/ask your doctor to call in your prescription, or send a screenshot of, email, or fax, your paper prescription
- Enter your address and billing info
- Submit your order
After your prescription is received, Honeybee’s online pharmacists will fill your order and ship it to you through USPS.
If you don’t see your correct quantity or dosage on the website, simply contact Honeybee and the pharmacists will get you the correct amount. You can pay with any major credit card.
If you don’t have a prescription or a doctor, you can find an online doctor to renew your prescription!
Honeybee can only ship to U.S. addresses right now. The company will never sell, share, or exchange any of your personal information.
Honeybee Health Does NOT treat Some Conditions
Of course, Honeybee isn’t for everyone. Just some of the patients this company isn’t a good fit for include anyone who:
- Insists on going through insurance companies (even though Honeybee’s prices are often lower than insurance copays)
- Needs a less-common dosage
- Has an expired prescription
- Needs insulin or other refrigerated medications
- Has a prescription for controlled substances
- Insists on only taking brand name medications
- Wants over-the-counter medications
- Needs to pay with an FSA or HSA (this is expected to change soon)
Pricing: How Much Does Honeybee Health Cost?
Honeybee Health doesn’t charge a subscription fee to use their services (or any other fees or surcharges for that matter!). Using this online pharmacy is similar to using an in-person pharmacy — only cheaper.
Normally, a wholesale prescription could cost $56, but Honeybee would only charge $14. The difference in cost is generally associated with price gouging and markups.
If the wholesale price of the above prescription is $10, a traditional pharmacy would charge a little more than $15. The pharmacy benefit manager would get $12.65, and the pharmacy would also charge a $10 performance fee. That’s a lot of fees!
Since Honeybee doesn’t pay rent to stay in business as a brick-and-mortar pharmacy would, this online pharmacy can pass the savings on to customers; the company only takes a $4 markup to pay pharmacists and general costs to run the business.
Shipping is free for 7-to-10 day USPS, and priority shipping is $10.
Here are some average costs of common pharmaceuticals:
- Sertraline (Zoloft)/10 Tablets, 20 mg: $6
- Sildenafil (Viagra)/10 Tablets, 20 mg: $19
- Bupropion (Wellbutrin)/10 Tablets, 20 mg: $14
- Phenytoin Sodium Extended-Release (Dilantin)/30 Tablets Chewable Er, 50 mg: $15
- Escitalopram (Lexapro)/30 Tablets, 5 mg: $7
What Do We Think About Honeybee Health?
In case you haven’t yet guessed, we happen to think that Honeybee Health is the bees’ knees (sorry, we had to!). We love its deep-discount pricing, transparent policies, and massive disruption of an otherwise overpriced industry.
The safety procedures put in place make us feel all the good feels, and we love how customer service is super open to feedback and willing to make as many medications available as safely possible.
Did we mention you can get medicine for your pet here, too?!
The best part is that you don’t even need to leave your house (or your sofa for that matter) to take advantage of these deep discounts. Dare we say, getting a prescription filled or refilled might actually be enjoyable?